Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2019

Pot of Gold for the Band of Gold

Former Alderman Matt Stamper weighs-in on the Mayor's use of economic development funds for Hendersonville High School's Band of Gold. Here are his thoughts from Facebook:

As much as I would like to stay out of the local political fray, I feel like I'm unable when I see the things I see going on. The latest dustup is the Mayor spending $10,000 of budgeted money that is eamarked for economic development and giving it to the HHS Band of Gold to help pay for their trip to London. I feel I must speak out.
There is no such thing as objectivity, I understand that. And I understand fully my experience with Jamie, he has me blocked on facebook so we can't have this discussion here, has not been the smoothest over the years and I am suspect of most of the things he does in his role as Mayor. I believe from my own experiences I am justified in that presupposition. So I recognize my own bias. But I would urge you to look at this as objectively as you can.
The budget year ended June 30. Apparently there was at least 10,000 dollars unspent in the econmic development budget line item. Here is what our city website says about ECD:
economic and community development of Hendersonville is extremely active in the recruitment and retention of retail, office, and industrial clients. The City is currently experiencing unprecedented growth in retail and office development, with over $1 billion in new development approved for construction.
How in the world giving $10,000 of taxpayer money for a high school band trip to London can be justified as economic development is beyond me. This is just my opinion obviously and of course who can be upset about kids getting to go on such an exciting trip. I'm not trying to rain on the parade of HHS Band of Gold. If anyone knows me they know my family has supported the Band of Gold for over a generation. My son marched for five years with the band. If there was an issue raising money I'd have been the first to buy fruit or whatever they were selling. I have no issues with anyone giving to the cause, but the problem I have is those specific dollars, earmarked for something completely unrelated to charitable giving, being used as such with the justification that it....I can't imagine what connection Jamie tried to make to economic development.
Is the very presence of our band in a foreign country going to help bring businesses to our city? I don't see it. It's beyond a stretch to me. So here's where objectivity is lost on anyone with a dog in the hunt. What it looks like is currying favor with a substantial number of voters while in campaign mode by finding money that in no way should ever have been used for that to get a bunch of thank yous from the Band of Gold. If anything this expenditure should have been discussed by the full board, but of course Jamie knows anyone in their right mind would not have supported the use of those particular funds for that particular expenditure, not because they don't want to see the kids get to go to London, but as stewards of taxpayer dollars it is the job of the Board to approve expenses in the categories they were designed for and this is not a proper Economic Development expense. It's just not


What are your thoughts? Was Mayor Clary justified in using these funds for the Band of Gold? Should the school system cover these costs? Should local fundraising or private donors be responsible?

email us: newshendersonville@gmail.com

For more news impacting Hendersonville and Sumner County, follow @HvilleNews


No comments:

Post a Comment