Pages

Monday, May 4, 2020

Transparency, Clary Style

Hendersonville Mayor Jamie Clary has something to say about transparency, and in typical Clary fashion, he's taken to Facebook to say it:

These are my eye glasses. If I don't have them at a restaurant, I have to order by pictures. If I don't have them in the morning, I cannot tell the time.
They have a certain style to them, but their main role is to help me get information.
We need more than just glasses, though. We need the information to be made available. When it comes to government, we need transparency.
In response to public requests, I have set up a new Facebook page for me to communicate city information directly with residents. It is "Hendersonville Mayor Jamie Clary."
By contrast, the "Hendersonville City Hall" page on Facebook will continue to be controlled by staff, as it has been for several months.
Recently some members of the public complained about the City Hall page's lack of information. Since I don't have access to post to that page, I am creating the new page, allowing me to communicate directly with residents.
The complaints about the City Hall page had merit. I appreciate the people who brought them to our attention. They recognized that city staff has withheld information about Covid-19, SBA loans, and the processes for businesses to re-open.
We have had similar problems with other city media: Channel Three, the city's YouTube channel, and the city web site. Many recent items that I submitted for publication were altered, delayed, and ignored by staff.
Transparency has been important to me since I came into office. I have answered 7,200 emails from residents, sent 42 monthly newsletters to more than 4,400 people, and taken 650 phone calls from taxpayers.
I have met with thousands of residents at their homes, giving them the opportunity to ask questions about city operations. Frequently, I speak to church and civic groups.
This new Facebook page, “Hendersonville Mayor Jamie Clary”, is another step in city transparency. I hope you find it helpful.

For more on news impacting Hendersonville and Sumner County, follow @HvilleNews 

Got news? Email us: newshendersonville@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment